FOR COMPLETE CV, PLEASE SEE Kaitlyn_Roland_CV_oct29
1. MAJOR FIELDS OF SCHOLARLY OR PROFESSIONAL INTEREST
My research interests involve understanding the specific care and rehabilitative needs of all people living with Parkinson’s disease. My training represents the integration of (neuromuscular) physiology and (caregiver) health research and has resulted in well-rounded Parkinson’s expertise.
Overall, I aim to understand functional ability across the spectrum of persons living with Parkinson’s – including movement, cognition, independent living, caregivers – and develop a comprehensive research program that will support my career as a leading researcher in this field.
2. DEGREES AND DIPLOMAS
2.1. ACADEMIC DEGREES
PhD Interdisciplinary Graduate Studies, School of Health & Exercise Sciences, The University of British Columbia, Kelowna BC
“Physical Function and Frailty in Persons with Parkinson’s disease: a focus on females”
• 2006- 2008
MSc Health & Rehabilitation Sciences, field of measurement & methods, The University of Western Ontario, London ON
“Creating a Burden Scale for Spousal Parkinson’s Caregivers”
• 2002- 2006
BHSc Major in Health Science, minor in Medical Science, The University of Western Ontario, London ON
2.2. YOGA CERTIFICATION
• Registered Yoga Teacher-200 hr, Trinity Yoga Centre (Kripalu), Kelowna BC
3. SCHOLARLY EMPLOYMENT & COMMUNITY ASSOCIATIONS
3.1. ACADEMIC POSITIONS
Post Doctoral Fellow, The Centre on Aging, University of Victoria, Victoria BC
3.2. OTHER INVOLVEMENT
- Yoga for Parkinson’s disease workshop. Moksha Yoga Kelowna, BC (Jan-Feb 2012)
- Time out for Caregivers Workshop series, Parkinson Society British Columbia, Kelowna, Parksville and Langley BC (May 26 2011- March 15 2012)
- Support Group Involvement, Parkinson Society British Columbia, Vernon & Kelowna BC (March 2009-present)
- Manager, Balance Massage at Moksha Yoga Kelowna, Kelowna BC (Jan 2011-present)
- Teaching Assistant, Health & Social Development, University of British Columbia Okanagan, Kelowna BC (Sept 2008-present)
- Research Assistant, Human Kinetics, University of British Columbia Okanagan, Kelowna BC (Sept 2008-present)
- Trainer Assistant, Move it and Mingle, Westside Health network, West Kelowna BC (Sept 2008-Sept 2011)
- Program Evaluation Consultant, Hope’s Garden Eating Disorders Support and Research Centre, London ON
- Special Project’s Assistant, Parkinson Society Southwestern Ontario Region, London ON
- Retail Manager, Moksha Yoga London, London ON
4. SCHOLARLY AND PROFESSIONAL ACHIEVEMENTS
4.1. Published Peer-Reviewed Articles
- Roland, K.P., Cornett, K.M.D., Theou, O., Jakobi, J.M., & Jones, G.R. (2012). Concurrence of Frailty and Parkinson’s disease. Journal of Frailty and Aging, 1(3), 123-127.
- Roland, K.P., Cornett, K.M.D., Theou, O., Jakobi, J.M., & Jones, G.R. (2012). Daily Physical Activity across Frailty Phenotypes in Community-dwelling Females with and without Parkinson’s disease. Journal of Aging Research, vol. 2012, Article ID 468156, 8 pages, 2012. doi:10.1155/2012/468156.
- Roland, K.P., Jakobi, J.M., Powell, C., & Jones, G.R. (2012). Quality of Life as a Determinant of Frailty Phenotype in Community-dwelling Persons with Parkinson’s disease. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 60(3), 250-252.
- Theou O., Bruce S., Roland K.P., Jones G.R. & Jakobi J.M. (2011). Long Term Electromyography Recordings in Community- and Retirement-Dwelling Older Women. Gerontechnology, 10(3); 136-141.
- Roland, K.P., Jenkins, M.E., & Johnson, A.M. (2011). Caregiver Burden Among Spouses of Individuals with Parkinson’s disease. Journal of Current Clinical Care, Nov/Dec, 33-39.
- Johnson, A.M., Hyson, H.C., & Roland, K.P. (2011). Identification and Management of Impulse Control Disorders Among Individuals with Parkinson’s Disease. Journal of Current Clinical Care, Sept/Oct, 33-40.
- Roland, K.P., Theou, O., Jakobi, J.M., Swan, L. & Jones, G. R. (2011). Exploring Frailty: Community Physical and Occupational Therapists’ Perspectives. Physical and Occupational Therapy in Geriatrics, 29(4), 270-286.
- Roland, K.P., Jakobi, J.M. Powell, C., & Jones, G. R. (2011). Factors related to functional independence in females with Parkinson’s disease: a systematic review. Maturitas, 69(4), 304-311.
- Theou, O., Stathokostas, L., Roland, K.P., Jakobi, J.M., Patterson, C.J., Vandervoort, A. & Jones, G.R. (2011) The Effectiveness of Exercise Interventions for the Management of Frailty: A Systematic Review. Journal of Aging Research, vol. 2011, Article ID 569194, 19 pages, 2011. doi:10.4061/2011/569194.
- Roland, K.P., Jakobi, J.M., & Jones, G.R. (2011). Does Yoga Engender Fitness in Older Adults? A critical review. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 19, 62-79.
- Roland, K.P., Jenkins, M.E., & Johnson, A.M. (2010). An Exploration of the Burden Experienced by Spousal Caregivers of Individual with Parkinson’s disease. Movement Disorders, 5(2), 189-93.profesional or cultural journals
4.2. Articles in Professional or Cultural Journals without Review Committee
- Roland, K.P. (2010). Functional Abilities in Women with Parkinson’s disease. Viewpoints. Parkinson Society British Columbia (March, 2010).
- Roland, K.P. (2006). Volunteerism: recognizing the support of volunteers & their families. The Parkinson’s Update. Parkinson Society Southwestern Ontario (Summer/Fall).
4.3. Peer-Reviewed Abstracts
- Roland, K.P. (Sup. Jakobi, J.M., Jones, G.R) (2012). Daily Physical Function And Frailty In Persons With Parkinson’s Disease: A Focus On Females. Appl Physiol Nutr Met. Accepted.
- Roland, K.P., Jakobi, J.M., Jones, G.R. (2011). Contributing factors to frailty status in persons with Parkinson’s disease. Mov Disord 26(S2), S296 (doi: 10.1002/mds.23764).
- Karn, N., Roland, K.P. & Jakobi, J.M. (2010). Does Whole Body Vibration Enhance Blood Lactate Clearance? Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology. Appl Physiol Nutr Met: 35(S1), S47 (doi:10.1139/H10-907).
- Roland, K.P., Jones, G.R., & Jakobi, J.M. (2010). Evaluation of sex- and stage progression of Parkinson’s disease during functional tasks. Mov Disord 25(12), S638 (doi: 10.1002/mds.23386)
- Roland, K.P., Jakobi, J.M., & Jones, G.R. (2009) Does Yoga Engender Fitness in Older Adults? A critical review. Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology. Appl Physiol Nutr Met: 34(S1). (doi:10.1139/H09-906).